• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

NZ Troops in Operation Grapple Bosnia UNPROFOR

Started by ChristchurchPS, February 22, 2017, 11:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChristchurchPS

I am preparing an article for the CPS newsletter and Forces PH Bulletin on the above, and need to verify some details before submitting for publication. Can anyone please verify or correct my conclusions in the statement below.
These have been made from material in my collection and research from NZ Army publications.
NZ troops were there from Sept 1994 - Jan 1996.

'A British Forces Post Office [BFPO 544] operated in Split [Croatia], with Field Post Office 791 at SPLIT and British Forces Post Office [BFPO 547] operated in Vitez [Bosnia], with Field Post Office 1012 at SANTICI CAMP.
The force was named 'Operation Grapple Bosnia', reviving a name that had been used 1956 – 1958,  for the Atomic Bomb tests at Christmas Island.'

Thanks

Robert Duns
Librarian CHCH NZ PS

Michael Dobbs

Robert

You are essentially correct:

In September 1992 the British Government announced it would send an infantry battlegroup of around 1,800 troops to Bosnia & Herzegovina, based on 1st Battalion, The Cheshire Regiment, to assist in the humanitarian operations of the UNHCR.  This deployment formed part of UNPROFOR II and was given the name Operation GRAPPLE.

Note the name Operation GRAPPLE - I have not seen it referred to as GRAPPLE BOSNIA.

British Forces Post Offices (BFPOs) were established as follows:
- Split, Croatia (BFPO 544) used datestamp FIELD POST OFFICE 791 and 1057
- Tomislavgrad, Bosnia & Herzegovina (BFPO 541) used datestamp FIELD POST OFFICE 572
- Vitez, Bosnia & Herzegovina (BFPO 547) used datestamp FIELD POST OFFICE 1012
- Gornji Vakuf, Bosnia & Herzegovina (BFPO 548) used datestamp ??

GRAPPLE UK ground forces deployment to Bosnia and Croatia in support of UNPROFOR II. Oct 1992 - Apr 1993
GRAPPLE 2 Apr 1993 - Oct 1993
GRAPPLE 3 Oct 1993 - Apr 1994
GRAPPLE 4 Apr 1994 - Oct 1994
GRAPPLE 5 Oct 1994 - Apr 1995
GRAPPLE 6 Apr 1995 - Oct 1995
GRAPPLE 7 Oct 1995 - Dec 1995

RESOLUTE UK deployment in support of IFOR Dec 1995 - 20 Dec 1996

The following statement also shows the involvement of the New Zealand contingent:

1st Battalion, The Royal Highland Fusiliers (Princess Margaret's Own Glasgow and Ayrshire Regiment) (1 RHF) (Warrior AIFV equipped) from Fallingbostel, Germany replaced 2 R Anglian Battlegroup as BRITBAT 1 in November 1994 when it completed its tour of duty.  Battalion HQ was located at Vitez with sub-units deployed at Jelah, Bugojno and Gornji Vakuf.  Attached to the Battalion was a company from 1st Battalion, Royal New Zealand Infantry Regiment and Queen Alexandra's Rifles.  The Battalion had 'B' Squadron, Household Cavalry Regiment, at Gornji Vakuf, Bosnia since August 1994, attached.  Initial deployments were as follows:

Jelah: 'A' Company and Recce Platoon (attached to BRITCAVBAT)
Santici: New Zealand company (20 minutes walk from Vitez)
Vitez: 'B' Company
Bugojno:         'C' Company, 1 RGBW
Gornji Vakuf: 'C' Company with 'B' Squadron HCR

More than happy for you to use any of the above information for your article.  If you think I can help with any other information please ask.

Regards, Mike  ;)

ChristchurchPS

Thanks Mike - very helpful - will relate it to my script, and finalise the article.
Robert

Michael Dobbs

Robert

I have an interest in the former Yugoslavia from EU, OSCE and UN involvement since 1991, centered on British involvement but I have also recorded details of other nations invovlement as well (not always to the same level of detail as British). I am therefore interested in your NZ article - would it be possible to have a copy once you have published it please ?

Thanks, Mike  :)

ChristchurchPS

Hi Mike

I will certainly forward you a copy, but will make it available for publication by the Forces Society.

This will hopefully be the first of several articles on the post Korea activities of the NZ  military based on my ongoing collection.
My access to the Robin Startup Archive, will enable me to expand on what is already published by him & Ted Proud - I have about 80 pages of material of the NZ services in Malaya/Singapore  which can illustrate the script , and have a range of material on later activities that I am still trying to add to. 
I also intend to do something on my 'Napoleonic Wars" material
Hopefully I have enough lifetimes left. 

Regards

Robert