• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

FPO 946

Started by Chris Weddell, March 22, 2017, 10:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Weddell

Hello All,

Can any tell  me where FPO 946 was located around the 23rd of September 1970 and FPO 199 or 799 around July of 1970. I have a feeling they are from Cyprus but am not sure.

Also I notice on FPO registered post labels of this period 'FPO D.S.'. What does the 'D.S.' stand for.

Thank you.

Chris

Michael Dobbs

Chris

Answers as follows:

FPO 946: 12 Sep 68 – 18 Aug 82 CYPRUS BFPO 667 HQ UNICYP, Nicosia

FPO 199 - number not recorded used post-WW2
FPO 799 - number not recorded used Post-WW2

In registration labels the D.S. stands for Datestamp as in FPO Datestamp (F.P.O. D.S.)

Bring the 199/799 cover to the next meeting and lets take a look as I feel you are mis-reading the number.

Cheers, Mike  :)

Chris Weddell

Mike Thanks.

I have added a scan of the cover. I might have mislaid it in over 2 weeks !!! Looking again it may be 188 or 788 bui i am relly not sure.

Is there some sort of list of post war Cyprus FPO and BFPO numbers.

Best regards

Chris  ;)

Michael Dobbs

Chris

Aaah - you didn't mention it was a Blackwell packet datestamp - I had assumed it was a double ring steel datestamp !

It is indeed [u]Forces[/u] Post Office 199:
Datestamp return as at 13 Sep 1976 shows it as being allocated to FPO S.263 - this was RAF Akrotiri, Cyprus BFPO 57.  Previously Cyprus was BFPO 53 but on 1 July 1976 Akrotiri became BFPO 57 and Dhekelia became BFPO 58, while Episkopi remained as BFPO 53.

I have recorded FPO 199 as Cyprus (BFPO 53) from 1964 to 27 JLY 70 and at RAF Akrotiri 6 JLY 81 and 25 AUG 82.

Ransom (unpublished work on post-war FPOs based on John Daynes records) has recorded it 1968 – 1982 as CYPRUS BFPO 57 Akrotiri (but I don't know if he has made the assumption for the whole period based on just a few recordings as I'm sure they would have moved the datestamps around in the early years at least) and in 2001 as CYPRUS  BFPO 58 Dhekelia

There may have been a list published years ago by Cyprus Study Circle and in a philatelic magazine I seem to recall - Robin Davis would know more.

Mike  :D

Chris Weddell

Mike

Thank you I should I have looked better at the cancel, as I should have noticed it was a Blackwell datestamp. Thanks again.

Chris  :)