• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

South Africa Fleet Mail Office postmark.

Started by Chris Weddell, February 22, 2017, 09:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Weddell

Hello All,

I have just got this cover. It has an H.M.S.A.S. Pietermaritzburg ships cachet and is tied with a "FLEET MAIL OFFICE / SIMONSTOWN" postmark dated for the 24th of SEP but no year. Could any one tell me about the Fleet Mail Office postmark as i can not find out anything about it. I was told it was very uncommon but not knowing about it, i would not know. Can anyone add any information about the ship it would also be a great help.

Thanks in advance

Chris  :)

Frank Schofield

Chris

F.M.O. Simonstown (HMS Afrikander) according to Proud operated from 13th March 1946 until 22nd August 1955,
The F.M.O. was transferred from Durban in 1946. Three postmarks/cachets are known 1. A double ring B.F.M / No 29 with the year slugs at the top over the day & month,1946 to 1948. 2. An oval F.M.O. Simonstown, I have recorded for 14th June 1954. The third, the one on your cover known from 26 10 50 until the above August date, I have never seen it without the year slugs before.

Frank Schofield

Chris Weddell

Frank

Thanks for your help.

Chris.

Frank Schofield

Chris

Should have mentioned, HMSAS Pietermaritzburg, was an Accommodation Ship for Minesweepers at Simonstown (1943), taken out to sea and scuttled in 1994.

Frank Schofield

Chris Weddell

Frank

Thanks again.

Chris

Michael Dobbs

Chris

Frank beat me to it and gave much more information than I could have done, but for completeness attached is the page from Proud's book "The Postal History of the Naval & R.A.F. Postal Services".

Hope it helps, Mike  :)

Chris Weddell

Mike,

Thank you for your help. Looks like i need to add a few more books to my library.

Cheers

Chris  :)

Frank Schofield

Mike

Over the last few years I have added several photocopies of items unlisted in Prouds book, including the oval F.M.O./ Simonstown  I mentioned in the earlier post.

Frank

Colin Tabeart

Jane's Fighting Ships 1968-69 lists Pietermaritzburg as an ex British Algerine Class minesweeper, completed 1943 at Renfrew. Purchased from UK in 1947. Re-commissioned midshipmen's raining vessel Aug 1962. Complement 8 officers, 107 men. Best wishes, C olin

Chris Weddell

Colin

Thank you for your help

Regards

Chris.