• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

HMT Royal Edward

Started by Michael Dobbs, December 02, 2015, 09:03:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katkin

Thank you very much for this, Alan.

[i]As the Essex Regiment were one of the larger contingents on this voyage of the Royal Edward, this unit may have been allocated the 2852 censor handstamp?
[/i]
This seems possible.

On her second voyage to Gallipoli the Royal Edward left Avonmouth Monday 28 July and reached Malta on Friday, 6th. August, left Saturday 7th. 1915.
The ORs did not land, but military and naval officers may have done.

This was a much quicker time than the first trip in June 1915.
Because the crew list & log survive for this we have Captain Wotton's detailed record:
Left Avonmouth 3.48 pm 22 June
Arrived Malta 4.00 pm 2 July.

[i]"Unfortunately for his brother, the postcard would have been delivered after news of the sinking, but maybe before the casualties were named?"
[/i]
The postcards from Malta did arrive after the news of the disaster.
Here are some comments from the Falmouth Packet, Friday, 27 August, 1915.

"In every case letters or postcards were received from Malta announcing the safe arrival there...."

"Some received letters and postcards yesterday (26th) and this fact led them to hope that their loved ones are safe, but their friends had reluctantly to point out to them that the communications were dated prior to the time of the foundering of the Royal Edward."

Thanks again,
Regards, Kathryn.

According to the 1911 census he was a jeweller, manufacturer of brooches.

Tony Walker

Hi Kathryn

Welcome to the Forum and to the FPHS

I don't know if it is of interest, but here's the message side of a PPC of HMT Royal Edward

Written by 'Dolly' to her mother Mrs Griffiths at  Avondale Road, Onchan, I of M.  I think the cds is Liverpool / W.D.6, but the interesting element is the date, 7 September 1915, some 3 weeks after Royal Edward went down.

This is pertinent to the message which says, in full :
Dear Mother
We are coming home Thursday boat. Have something to eat for two. That is if H will stop. One egg and a bit of ham each please.  Will you come to meet the boat.  Do if you can.  I will watch for you. best love Dolly

I wonder whether Dolly was on the Royal Edward, the PPC is of the ship, which suggests the possibility.  Maybe someone can add to this? I suppose it is more likely Dolly simply had a PC of the ship, and used it.

I have another HMT Royal Edward, but it's not where it should be, so am searching

Tony Walker

katkin

Tony, thank you for this.

I think Dolly and H. are coming from Liverpool to the I.O.M. by a ferry boat.

I can't track the family down, yet, to link her to the Royal Edward – but I think  Dolly (Dorothy?) just had a postcard of the ship.

The Royal Edward and the Royal George did go to Liverpool "on a run" in January 1914.
The Royal Edward for an extensive overhaul, and the Royal George for her annual refit.
Your postcard was printed by a Liverpool publisher so was probably sold in that city.

When the "Royals" were in dock at Avonmouth they were an attraction for sight-seers.
The publisher C.W. Hunt & Co. of Liverpool would see a lucrative opportunity in producing postcards of them.
Thanks for adding more information.
I hope Dolly and H. enjoyed the ham & egg!

Regards, Kathryn.

Frank Schofield

Digging up an old post
While on holiday last week I came across an interesting book. FASTEST TO CANADA, The Royal Edward from Govan to Gallipoli by Richard Oliff, published in 2004 by Silver Link Publishing of Kettering.
It tells of the history of the ship up to the time of her loss, The Roll of Honour includes the crew and the military losses. Most of the military state where born, where enlisted and resided.
The author thanks Kathryn Atkin for supplying Particulars of Engagement of a 5th Engineer (William Nimmo) but she is not mentioned in the Acknowledgements or Index.
I thought the book might be of interest to members who replied to this post, and my daughter tells me it is available from Amazon and E-Bay

Frank Schofield