• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

RNAS Armoured Cars 1915 -16

Started by Tony Walker, October 18, 2017, 08:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Walker

I have several postcards (romantic) from a Harry Baldwin to his wife in Albert Street, Camden Town.

The earliest is cancelled 6 Dec 15 with APO S.10 and then 7 Dec 15 with APO 4 and red triangular PASSED BY CENSOR mark No 2344
The others are all S.10 on 29.1.16, 1.2.16, 4.2.16 and the last 26.2.16 with hexagonal red PASSED FIELD CENSOR 1362..
The earliest one has been initialled, as censor, by Lt HA Furness RNVR
All five have the Gould 4A120 censor mark attributed to the Armoured Car Squadrons in France - which ties in with the S.10 and 4 cancels. Gould says only known in 1915 on armoured car mail, but obviously continued into 1916
Once trench warfare took over in late 1914 the effectiveness of the armoured cars was greatly reduced, and many squadrons were either returned to the UK or sent elsewhere to work with the army.  Squadron 2 (Duke of Westminster) and Squadron 5 stayed on in France (as did others?) and fought with the army.
With the information above is it possible to say with which squadron Harry Baldwin was serving?  I think he got a DSM but I had difficulty getting his details up.  By then the squadron had probably been absorbed into the army, if so why were they still using the censor mark?