• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Lt Cdr Palmer, HMS Medway

Started by Colin Tabeart, November 01, 2017, 05:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin Tabeart

Posted 26 Feb 1941 in Cairo, to HMS Medway. The dec 1940 Navy List shows Temp Lt RNR AB Palmer joined Medway on 13 Mar 1940 - cannot find any other likely candidates. So, why was Medway deleted? Who was Mario de Giovanni**. What is the meaning of the pencilled endorsements "V Verso Secteur 201" and "Lighters Nile" crossed out? Thanks guys, Colin

Chris Weddell

Hello Colin,

I noticed X Lighters written in pencil which was crossed out on your cover. I think this is for the X Lighter ships know as the Black Beetles. These ships were in use in Egypt until the 1950s.

Here is a link to website with information on them. http://www.xlighter.org

I hope this is of help.

Chris S-W.

Colin Tabeart

Many thanks Chris. Can anyone else help to fill in the other gaps please?

Colin

Frank Schofield

Colin

A.B.  Palmer was a Temp/Lieut RNR
First thoughts- a captured  Italian ship, but could not trace a ship of that name
BUT have found in the August 1941 Navy List,  he was appointed in command of the captured Italian Aux Schooner MARIA di GIOVANNI on 12th February 1941. captured by HMS Dainty, 1st Jan 1941, lost by grounding off Tobruk on 22nd November 1941

Hope of some use

Frank

Colin Tabeart

Hi Frank - that is brilliant - many thanks. Soooooooooo sorry for late reply, been completely immersed in other matters for the last month.
Colin