• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

FPO 236 in 1943

Started by Michael Dobbs, February 19, 2018, 12:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

I have received the following enquiry via the website:

[color=maroon]I am a collector of WWII British postal history. I have a base censored air mail cover with an indistinct Field Post cancel showing possibly the number "236". It is addressed to London. My question is: Why would it require 10d franking to mail this letter? I assumed all OAS mail went postage free for service personnel during WWII. Also, what was the location of Field Post 236 in June, 1943? Any help with this query is much appreciated. Thank you. [/color]

I have responded as follows:

[color=blue]Thank you for your enquiry below.  Without seeing a copy of the cover it is difficult to answer fully.  You ask two questions:

1.  Why the 10d postage – there was free postage for surface mails and an allocation of free air letters.  However, if a serviceman wished to send an ordinary letter home by airmail he would have to pay postage and I believe that 10d was the airmail rate at the time.

2.  Location of FPO 236:  I have taken the following information from "History of British Army Postal Service Volume III – 1927-1963" Edited by Edward B Proud (now deceased) published 1982.
This shows that FPO 236 has been recorded used in Egypt by FPO B.131 24 Jul 1942 – 12 Nov 1942
Then to Italy by 7 Dec 1943 and with APO S.597 (Benevento) on 14 Apr 1944 and recorded used at that location to 24 Apr 1944; subsequently with 78th Division on 7 May 1944 and recorded used by that Division until 30 January 1945.

You will see that there are no recording for 1943, which does not mean it was not used then simply it had not been recorded by the author of the publication.[/color]

Can anyone add to this - is there any publication which lists wartime Forces postage rates ?  I am trying to compile a listing of post-war rates to, from HM Forces and inter-unit rates (extremely difficult task, given the location of HM Forces overseas and time frame involved!) but don't have the time or energy at present to enter the war period !

Thanks, Mike  ;D