• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Biro Cancellations - Royal Mail Policy

Started by Peter Harvey, April 21, 2018, 10:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Harvey

Okay, sorry this is not a Forces Postal History question, or discussion point.

For those of you that would not have read the article by John Gray in Stamp and Coin Magazine, you can find it here https://www.collectors-club-of-great-britain.co.uk/stamps-coins/articles/gb-stamps/biro-cancellations-on-stamps--time-for-action

It appears that Royal Mail have a policy to cancel stamps by pen where they have missed cancellation in another way, so from a collectors view point destroying the stamp and any collecting interest there may be in retaining it. The article asks any collector that receives a 'biro cancelled' stamp to email the Chief Executive of Royal Mail, Moya Greene at moya.greene@royalmail.com

If you would like to support this campaign, please read the article. My own opinion is that Royal Mail need to deal with their technical issues and ensure all stamps are correctly cancelled. I have emailed several times, very nice replies and confirmation that this is RM policy. Please help stop this by complaining to Royal Mail if you receive any biro cancelled stamps through the post.

Michael Dobbs

I fully support the request - too many stamps spoilt by the biro cancellations.

mike

Alan Baker

Having received a similar item today, I wonder if this is a ploy to prevent recipients knowing how long the letter has taken to deliver, as no date stamp is now used

Ross Debenham

I think this is a problem everywhere. I received the attached for the USA last week, admittedly not defaced by biro but something worse I believe. If post offices world wide employed people to obliterate envelopes there would not be a problem