• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Hong Kong: Forces Postage Rates 1948

Started by Michael Dobbs, November 14, 2018, 05:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

I have received the following enquiry:

[color=maroon]I have a cover dated 11 DE 48 from Hong Kong to UK inscribed "Forces Mail" & "By Air Mail" but franked at the surface rate (25c.). Was airmail a special concession for forces Xmas mail in 1948?[/color]

As a result of my researches into postal rates to/from HM Forces Overseas post-WW2 I have sent an initial response as follows:

[color=blue]The Post Office Circular (Special Edition) of 2 February 1945 advised that with effect from 4 February 1945 all letters not more than 1 ounce (1 oz) in weight prepaid 1½d and postcards prepaid at 1d (i.e. the existing Forces' surface rates) would be carried by air to the following command addresses:

Ceylon Command
India Command
South East Asia Command (SEAC)

In addition, so far as air services were available, mail for the Royal Navy and Merchant Navy in all parts of the world abroad would also be carried by air.  Royal Navy mail for HM Ships was to be addressed ℅ GPO London (or ℅ GPO Reading) whilst mail for Merchant Navy vessels was to be addressed ℅ the Owners or Owners' Agents in the UK.  No air mail label or other marking which indicated air transmission was required on these letters and postcards.

It followed that there was no advantage in using for these destinations the 3d airgraph, 6d air letter or the air mail letter at 1/3d a half-ounce.  Post Office counter staff were advised that any enquiries on the subject were to be answered accordingly.  However, airgraphs were still to be accepted under the existing conditions if the sender specifically wished to make use of that means of communication.

The Post Office Circular of 14 May 1947 advised that up until then it had been general practice that letters from members of HM Forces serving overseas up to one ounce (1 oz) in weight had been accorded air conveyance from most areas overseas to the UK free of postage.  However, this concession was withdrawn as from 1 May 1947 and from that date such letters intended for air conveyance were, in general, to be prepaid 1½d or the equivalent in local currency.[/color]

I need to undertake further research, in particular general orders that covered Hong Kong in the post-WW2 period.  However, can anyone else assist with this query please?

Thanks, Mike  :D