• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Gould 1B14

Started by Chris Weddell, February 21, 2019, 06:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Weddell

I have just brought this cover which has the Gould 1B14 censor mark. This cover was said to be from HMS Afrikander which does not work for me. In Gould Volume 2 it is listed as HMS Engadine. Could any one confirm which ship used this mark. There is pencil script in the box and just above the box a censors initials in script. Any help to solve this one would be great. Thank you in advance.

Thanks

Chris.

Tony Walker

Hi Chris

I think you'll find it is HMS Engadine, a Seaplane Carrier.  I have five covers with your censor mark, all addressed to a Mrs Watson of Foxbourne Road, London SW 17.

The censor's initials are H.W., those of Asst/Paymaster Harry Watson RNVR, appt 14.4.17.  Four covers have the eight-barred circle, one cover the London machine cancel dated May 14 17.

I notice I passed some of these to Michael Gould in 2009 for comment, which he kindly did on 14 February 2009, and I'm trying to find his letter!  Anyway hope this helps.  Can send scan(s) if at all useful

Cheers
Tony

Chris Weddell

Hi Tony,

Thank you for your help. I thought it would be HMS Engadine.

Scans would be useful if that is ok with you.

Cheers

Chris

Michael Gould

Chris. This cannot be Afrikander which was the base ship in South Africa. A barred circle was not used there. If I can I will see if I can identify the censor (if it is not the one given by Tony). Michael

Michael Gould

Chris. There is no fit in my lists to the GEC at the top left on Engadine and I don't have the remotest idea as to what the initials on the censor itself stand for. Sorry. Michael

Chris Weddell

Michael. Thank you for your help with the censor. As soon as I saw the cover I did not think it was from the Afrikander due to the barred circle. Chris

Tony Walker

Chris

If you send me your email address I'll send you the scans (walker369@btinternet.com)

Cheers
Tony

Chris Weddell

Tony

Thank you. My email address is (cstephanyweddell@rocketmail.com)

Cheers

Chris