• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

war crimes censor Dachau 1946

Started by Susan McEwen, December 16, 2018, 02:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Susan McEwen

Hi
I am trying to  find out a bit more about this item, a recent acquisition.
APO 757 appears to  have been at Frankfurt, and the implication is that the addressee was a PoW held by the Americans.
Dachau being just north of Munich was in the US zone, and wikipedia (!) lists names of people tried there, but 'Christian Hartmann' isn't listed.
Does the line below his name  refer to his German military service? Army number + regiment ??
any  ideas?
thanks
Susan

Chris Weddell

Susan,

I cannot find this name listed for major war crimes. I do think he was a member of the SS as many members were hold at Dacha after the war until they were charged with war crimes or sent to P.O.W. camps if they were not charged. A number of them were sent to camps in the USA.

If this line under his name is his unit which I am not sure about then you are looking at the 4th SS Police Regiment 3rd Battalion which served in Eastern Europe and France. I will do some digging and see if I can find out any more.

I also noted USA APO 757 written at the bottom of the letter which was a US army post office 757 based at Frankfurt at the time when this cover was posted.

Regards

Chris. 

Susan McEwen

Thanks Chris

I had tried Wikipedia + Google, the former lists War Crimes trials but not his name. The list clearly isn't complete, not as many names as trials.

Google only offers an historian of the same name, born in 1958 !
it'll be great if you  can find anything about  him.

regards
Susan

Ingo Egerlandt

Hi Susan, this in a letter to a German POW in Dachau. Best wishes