• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

CM3 - 1086

Started by Alan Baker, April 26, 2019, 03:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Baker

And another AK

I am attaching a scan of a cover bearing CM3-1086 and FPO TX. It is addressed to Capt Stopford-Taylor in Liverpool.

My Canadian contact has given me a list showing this FPO being allocated to 1st Canadian Divisional Train at this time. Daniel lists this CM as from No 9 Red Cross Hospital, located initially in Calais but only dating from January 1916.

I have found three officers named Stopford-Taylor on FWR, Herbert who was with ASC, John with Kings Liverpool Regiment and Richard, RAMC. All three had addresses in Liverpool (although not the one on the cover - John lived in Princes Park though). At least two of them (H & J) were brothers. I have not been able to make out the signature at the left (Fenn?)

All this poses questions. Was Richard based at 9 Red X Hospital and writing home to his brother? What is the Canadian connection?

Any ideas?

Peter Harvey

Hi Alan,

Happy Birthday this week I think.

The only link I can think of is at this time the Canadian Divisions would have been arriving in the UK through Liverpool. Aigburth is south of the city now and was in the countryside then, so a likely location for an encampment, prior to movement to Salisbury, where their formation took place?

Peter