• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

naval post relating to lowestoft

Started by sphillips, November 11, 2018, 08:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sphillips

Hello, here is a strange question for you all. Have any of you ever come across any post from WW1 or WW2 that mentions Lowestoft, Suffolk in any way? As it is the most eastern point of the England it always seems to have plenty of activity through the World Wars. Especially Naval, which is my main interest.

So lets see what you got?

Peter Harvey

Hello Stewart,

Yes I would of and typically I would have sold this on eBay (I am a dealer). I have attached a couple of pictures, WW1 cards and a letter from the Eagle Brewery, I also had some mail to/from an Anti Aircraft unit (may still have some). Please feel free to message me back or email me on peter.harvey96@outlook.com.

Regards

Frank Schofield

Stewart

You probably need to contact member Brian Baldock of Worthing, East Anglia is his area of interest

There is a book, THE BATTLE OF THE EAST COAST (1939-1945), published privately by J.P.Foynes in 1994. Lowestoft gets plenty of mentions

Frank Schofield

Tony Walker

Hi Stewart

A bit peripheral, but here's a scan of a PPC (romantic) with a very neat dumb ring cancel.  This measures 22.5mm dia (outer edges), and 1.25/1.5 line thickness which puts it into Goulds DD17 or 18.  He states this as 'possibly Lowestoft'.

You can see the dumb cancel missed the stamp, which has subsequently been cancelled by a Manchester cds dated 20 OC 15.  It's addressed to Pte. C R Seward on HMS Roxburgh, redirected to Nottingham

I have a couple of items from HMS Lowestoft, but that's of no help !

Cheers
Tony

Colin Tabeart

Lowestoft had a massive trawler & drifter fleet in both WW1 and WW2. Undoubtedly some would have been requisitioned as minesweepers, but I do not have details. The town was shelled by the German battlecruisers in WW1 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardment_of_Yarmouth_and_Lowestoft and postcards exist of the damage. There was a shipbuilding yard that produced MTBs in WW2 (and maybe other small warships - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooke_Marine - but the website is not very good. I have not been able to discover if an MTB flotilla operated from Lowestoft - probably too far north of three choke point of the Dover Straits.
Best wishes
Colin

Michael Gould

I think I am right in saying that I have seen a few WW1 naval covers with the Lowestoft Krag cancel. It was not a main naval base so there are not many of them about. Michael