• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Duty Free Concession Labels

Started by Colin Tabeart, March 14, 2019, 04:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin Tabeart

Just received this cover dated 30 May 1946 from Coastal Forces Malta (HMS Gregale). Have not seen this label before - I understand that a 30 shilling label was used in Nov 1945. How long did this concession go on for? Certainly not available throughout my time 1957-1988 as far as I know (but I never asked for one, so maybe ...). Why reduced from 30/- to 10/-? The POMM handstamp I recorded as N52a in Robertson Revisited, but I think it is fairly scarce - maybe reserved for registered packets? Any comments gratefully received. Cheers, Colin

Michael Dobbs

Colin

I don't know whether the attached helps - its relates to my researches so far and starts in 1946.  Although it refers to Army Council Instructions and thus Army Form numbers, the colour for the 10/- rate is the same (blue).  Unfortunately your label does not appear to have any form number or printers imprint on it - I suppose the RN and RAF must have had their own forms ?  As no date is given in the ACI I do wonder if it applied earlier than 1946.

I'll need to research earlier than 1946 and also look at RN and RAF instructions (equivalent to ACIs) to see if there is any mention in them of customs declarations.

I'd like permission to use your illustration of the label in my researches please ?

Regards, Mike

Colin Tabeart

Many thanks Mike - very helpful. You are welcome to use the images. I have seen some Army labels in the collection of a friend of mine - interestingly they are in Black ink, which the ACI does not mention. If he is happy I will send them on to your e-mail address. The ACI talks only of parcels, though I suppose my small registered envelope counts as a "parcel" since it has contents. I wonder why the registration label was applied in London and not in Malta? Best wishes, Colin