• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Type 1 RAF censors 186 and 187

Started by Jim Etherington, March 30, 2019, 04:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Etherington

I have a query regarding the use of Type R1 RAF censors 186 and 187 in combination with Received from HM Ships cancels during March 1940. Nick Colley records at this time they were being used in the Shetlands, but by whom?

I had assumed that the combination of RAF and Naval cancels might indicate FAA squadrons, but as far as I can discover none were stationed at the two air bases in the Shetlands (Sullom Voe and Sumburgh). Nor were any aircraft carriers in the region during February-May. Those that were sailed from Scapa in the Orkneys during the Norwegian campaign.

The only RAF squadrons based on the Shetlands during this period, and only at Sullom Voe, were 210 and 240 flying Sunderlands and Londons.

Nick Colley

Hi, Jim, well, I've been looking - on and off - for any other RAF units based in the Shetlands at this time (particularly non-operational, or non-flying units), but with no success so far. However, if you look at our write-up for R37, you'll see that 204 Squadron was also there - but not (apparently) using type R1.

chrs
N

Jim Etherington

Thanks Nick.
Given Type 1 was used in the Shetlands why would the covers be franked with RFHMS cancels. Was mail from the islands carried out on RN ships? It would seem more logical to fly mail to the mainland for forwarding.
Jim

Nick Colley

Ah, well, I was trying to avoid having to respond to that. I doubt if anyone really knows, now, after all this time. I suspect the reason, probably in most, if not all, cases of RAF censors on RFHMS mail (and there are quite a few, and not just R1s) is simple expediency, or maybe local (ad hoc?) protocol. For example, if memory serves we have some R1s on mail cancelled through the civil post office at Invergordon, so everyone knows from where that mail has come. However, a different officer in a different location may interpret postal 'security' in a different way to his equivalent at Invergordon and arrange for the mail from his unit to be transmitted so that its origin is hidden (ie through naval channels).

Your guess is as good as mine, Jim. It would be good if this thread can provoke some more responses, though.

chrs
N

Jim Etherington

Thanks Nick.
Sorry to ask the difficult questions.
Jim

Ingo Egerlandt

Jim, I have got a envelope with RAF censor 187 with FPO 5 from May 1940. BEF from France! And FPO 68 from January 1940 with RAF 187.  Ingo

Nick Colley

Ah ha! That's good to know, Ingo. That has made me go back to our original paper and pen recordings. It looks like the Shetlands attribution for 187 which appears in the spreadsheet version may be unfounded - your FPO 5 and FPO 68 recordings reinforce that conclusion. I'll incorporate your recordings into the New Recordings file.

However, we have observations (in my handwriting) for 186 and 188 on items which place them, with high confidence, in the Shetlands.

rgds
N

Ingo Egerlandt

Nick,

Sorry Nick, when I am written in German.

Ich bin der Meinung, dass jeder englische Offizier mit einem Zensurstempel übernommen hat, für diesen eine Quittung unterschreiben musste. Deshalb bin ich der Überzeugung, dass es Listen mit den Namen der Empfänger geben muss. Das Militär ist bei der Überlassung von Material nach wie vor sehr genau.

Dasselbe gilt für mich für die FPO Stempel für die jemand signieren musste.

Infolge dessen müssen diese Unterlagen in den Archiven zu finden sein.

I send you pics from my items. We a talk about RAF censorship and I think, the soldiers change very often his base. Let us look the dates!

Ingo

Nick Colley

No problem, Ingo, I think Google Translate (GT) was designed exactly with this problem in mind  :D

For the benefit of others, this is what GT tells me you said:

[i]I believe that every English officer has taken over with a censorship stamp, had to sign a receipt for this. Therefore I am convinced that there must be lists with the names of the recipients. The military is still very accurate in the release of material.[/i]

That sounds very plausible, and I expect you're right. I, for one, don't know whether those lists still exist, and whether they have been opened to public inspection. I think much labour, many hours, have probably been spent in the National Archives by members of the FPHS over the years searching for this sort of information, so far with no apparent success. Others with more, and more recent, experience of our National Archives might comment more fully?

Your following points:

[i]The same goes for me for the FPO stamp someone had to sign. As a result, these documents must be found in the archives.[/i]

Well, the same thoughts apply, really. If those documents do indeed exist, it appears they've proved damned elusive, so far. We are left to do the research the hard way, de-ciphering the signatures and then researching the individuals in question.

chrs
N

Ingo Egerlandt

Hi members,

thank you Nick, for your service. Google translator is not my favour.

FPO 68 with RAF Censor 187 pic..

Ingo