• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

H.M.S.A.S. BONAVENTURE 1

Started by Chris Weddell, November 15, 2019, 09:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Weddell

Hello All,

Does anyone have any idea which ship or shore base this South African WWII air mail letter card is written to. I do not think it is the aircraft carrier H.M.S. Bonaventure so I am at a loss. The sender sent this letter on the 19TH March 1945 from Italy.

Cheers

Chris

Frank Schofield

Chris

In his book Shore Estabishments of the Royal Navy, Warlow mentions Bonadventure as a SAN Estab  Duncan Dock Capetown 1945 to 1958
Hope of some use

Frank Schofield

Michael Dobbs

Just in case anyone else was as puzzled as I initially was - SAN = South African Navy !

Mike  ;D

Chris Weddell

Frank,

Thanks for your help it helps. Does the book say anything of the function of this shore establishment. I just cannot seem to find out anything about.

Chris

Frank Schofield

Chris

It is not listed seperately, just a footnote after the British Depot Ship of the same name

Frank

Nick Colley

Bill Garrard's file notes the 'function' as (and I quote): HQ Staff SANF.

chrs
N

Chris Weddell

Frank and Nick,

Thank you both for your help.

Cheers

Chris

Michael Dobbs

Chris

Attached is the page from the book that Frank is referring to - "Shore Establishments of the Royal Navy" Compiled by Lt Cdr B Warlow, RN (pub Maritime Books, 1992).  You can see all the Bonaventure's and the full entry.

Mike

Frank Schofield

Chris

The page displayed by Mike is from the  original volume, the latest volume
published in 2000 shows as I stated just a footnote

Frank