• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

How would you write up Pre-Stamp folded letters?

Started by Chris Weddell, July 01, 2019, 04:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Weddell

Hello Everyone,

I am asking this as I am starting to mount and write up one of my collections which in the future I will show and maybe exhibit. I am not sure how to mount up these early Pre-Stamp items to their best effect.

At the moment I am transcribing them. If anyone could maybe show me a scan or two of these folded letters when they are mounted on a sheet that would give me an idea.

This is one of the offending letters shown in the scans. In most of the letters the story is in the letter and not the postmarks !!!

Cheers

Chris  :o

Colin Tabeart

Hi Chris. Suggest you consider setting up a template (or templates if more than one topic) with the bare bones - Type and size of font for the various parts of the page (suggest use the same font for the whole page, but adjust size to suit), heading, frame for the page, frame for the cover(s), logo (if any - I tend to use the white ensign for my RN). This gives a sort of overall uniformity of approach, which can then be filled in with the relevant detail. Example attached. I am not a pot hunter, so suggest you take advice from members who do competitive entries for that aspect. Good luck,
Colin

Chris Weddell

Hi Colin,

Thank you for your advice and example. I am into more of the research so serious competitive entries are not my thing, I only go in for the society competitions. I have started to make a template for my RM and also my RN items so your advice is very Helpful. Thanks again.

Chris