• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

HM Monitor M19 WW1

Started by Tony Walker, July 31, 2019, 04:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Walker

Diligently working through the boxes, I came across this censored cover from the Monitor M19, for which I appear to have paid rather a lot of money, assuming my records are correct.

Looking on the internet I can find very little info on the ship.

The date on the cover is 20 Jul 1918 when she was off the Bulgarian coast.  She served between 7.15 and 12.15 with the Med. Fleet.

Is the circular ON ACTIVE SERVICE / crown, in top right significant?

No marks on the reverse

Is there something I should know about this ship and cover?  Or was I sold a pup?

Tony

Frank Schofield

Tony

I have a book "Monitors of the Royak Navy" by j CRossley, published in 2012

M.19 gets a mention on page 75. In Oct 1915 with M15 and M28 she bombarded Bulgarian railway installations and barracks in Dedeagatch, later when moored alongside Abercrombie bombarding the slopes of Achi Baba, suddenly there was a heavy explosion when a shell exploded in one of her 9.2 guns. setting fire to her magazine, prompt action saved the ship and she limped to Malta for repairs

The Active Service cachet is in the colour I have come across over the years usually in a straight line

Frank Schofield