• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Royal Navy Italy WW1

Started by Peter Harvey, June 21, 2019, 01:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Harvey

I Have attached pictures of a Italian Postcard to Devon dated 10/12/18 with a standard 8 bar obliterator, no other postal markings. In the test the writer states 'Arrived here today and as soon as we got here was away from the ship as I am in the steam boat again'

I would be interested in any thoughts on what the 'steam boat' refers to, WW1 RN in Italy?

Any help appreciated.

Peter

Alan Baker

Was it a steam pinnace, part of the ship's equipment?

Frank Schofield

Steam boat suggest he was a member of a large ships steam boat, carried on Cruisers or Battleships

The fact the card is addressed to England suggests the card was written before the ship sailed for its home port
The eight barred cancel (7 for Harwich) was only issued to naval ports in the UK, I have never seen it used aboard

Frank Schofield

Alan Baker

Is it possible that the card arrived in England without the obliterator and that it was added at the port of arrival?

Frank Schofield

I think if the card arrived in the UK uncancelled, it would have been sent via London, and probably a RFHMS cancel applied??

BUT must agree it could be a one off

Frank Schofield

Peter Harvey

Thank you Frank and Alan,

Yes my interest was why the 8-bar when this was posted from abroad, which seems the case given the test. So likely posted un-cancelled, but still not sure why no RFHMS.

Interesting card and you help is appreciated.

Regards

Nick Colley

Well, we seem to be assuming the 'here' to which he refers is the nation of the card's origin - Italy, I would say? If you re-read his message, it sounds like he's been on duty for quite  along time. That might suggest he may not have been able to get ashore (in Italy?) to buy the subject card.

So, combining that line of thought with the 8 bar cancel (8 bars not touching version, I see), might it be that he has arrived in the UK and he's using a card which he purchased in Italy either en route home, or perhaps his vessel was stationed there?

chrs
N

Michael Gould

Did you notice that the barred circle is the later type with the bars not joined to the rim? I have published an article on these reproduced in Volume 2 with some dimensions so it may be possible to find where this was applied. Unfortunately the illustrations are not all to size and you may have a problem with the mark running off the top but I should be interested in whether you can work out which one it is. Michael Gould