• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

WW1 38 Bde 13th Division Egypt through Syria to Basra FPO 38

Started by Peter Harvey, September 13, 2019, 05:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Harvey

I have attached pictures of a 11 FE 16 card of Sakka (Syria) used cancelled with the Field Post Office 38 datestamp and Censor 2738.

Proud records this with the 13th Division which moved from Sulva to Cape Helles for a few days over Christmas/ New Year 1915 - 1916 (they landed on beaches where evacuation from Cape Helles had already began). The Division was withdrawn to Egypt again for a few days before departing to Basra to support the Indian Divisions in Mesopotamia. Proud dates state:

19.12.15 depart Sulva
31.12.15 Cape Helles
8.1.16 depart
1.2.16 Canal Zone
12.2.16 depart to mespot

My question: Card is of Sakka (near Damascus) with the datestamp 11 FE 16. Would the Division have moved from Egypt by sea through Syria to Mesopotamia ( the whole division move took several months). If so, would this be the FPO used in Syria on route? Any thoughts welcomed.

....... I hope I have the history right !!

Regards Peter

Chris Weddell

Peter,

I thought at this time this FPO would have been used on route. I also have some cards which are think are from this same correspondence.

Cheers

Chris

Graham Mark

The Arabic verb "sakka" means to give a drink (to someone).
I have items from 13Div in Egypt between service at Dardanelles and before they left for Mespot.
Per Becke's "Order of Battle, Divisions, part 3A" p42: embarkation from Mudros for Egypt began 18Jan16. Concentrated at Port Said by 31Jan and held posts on the Canal.  8Feb orders received for move to Mespot, 12Feb posts handed over and first troops left by rail to Suez. Embarked 13th and sailed 14th.  [Firebrace follows this timetable]
Reached Basra on 27Feb, but some of the guns did not reach Basra until 20 March.
There is no way that a British Division could have gone via Syria in 1916, and I find no place called Sakka in my Times Atlases (modern or contemporary).
Graham Mark