• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Herbert H Jalland

Started by Alan Baker, November 06, 2019, 09:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Baker

I am attaching a scan of a cover from AK's material, which throws up some questions. The franking is FPO179 and appears to be dated May 1917 and the censor mark is CM3/2773. The censoring officer is Lt Herbert Jalland.

1. Lt Jalland was an officer in the 3rd battalion, The Black Watch, attached to the first battalion. From what I have been able to find out, it was the 10th Battalion which went to Salonika as part of 77 Brigade, 26th Division. FWR does record him as being part of the 10th Battalion in 1917. However, 179 Brigade was part of 60th Division. Would mail be censored by an officer from another unit?

2. If he was with the 10th Battalion in Salonika, when did he transfer from the 3rd (or 1st) Battalion?

3. It appears that the Black Watch was transferred away from 77 Brigade in June 1918, but I cannot trace where they went after that. (Lt Jalland was killed in action in October 1918 and is buried at Wassigny Cemetery in France.)

Any info greatly received

Chris Grimshaw

Morning Alan

Interesting cover,

The only record I have of 3/2773 is on cover cancelled FPO T 26 in July, 1917.  10th Battalion Black Watch formed part of 77th Brigade, 26th Division.  I record nothing close to this number used by any unit of 60th Division.

All I can surmise at this stage is that 77th Brigade / 10th Battn Black Watch were close to 179th Brigade and made use of their FPO for mails.

60th Division and its associated FPO's had left Salonika for Egypt in July 17. 

In June 1918 the four remaining Divisions in Salonika lost 12 Battalions which were transferred to France, one Battalion from each Brigade.  Later replaced by Indian units in late 1918/19.

10th Battn Black Watch formed part of 197th Brigade and were disbanded in France in October 1918.

Chris

Alan Baker

Many thanks for this. It fits well with the cover and other info