• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

APO 1160

Started by Colin Tabeart, November 13, 2019, 10:08:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin Tabeart

THe back of this cover just has a manuscript "c/o APO 1160 / 8 Sep 41". Can anyone point me to where the APO was at that date please?

Michael Dobbs

Colin

Such APO numbers were temporary addresses used by the Army/RAF contingents / drafts or small deployments going overseas.  Except in a few cases they usually ceased once said individuals, contigents. drafts, etc arrived at their permanent overseas locations.  They were allocated by the Army Post Office.  As far as I am aware there are no surviving records which give allocations for these APO numbers.  For more information please see my article "Numbered Army Post Office (APO) Addresses Used on British Forces Mail During WW2" in Journal 274 (Winter 2007).

I have been trying to compile a list as and when I can obtain information (not often!).  I have listed APO 1160 from Post Office Circular entries as follows:

APO 1160
EFM telegraph service authorised [POC 13 Aug 1941]
EFM telegraph service ceased         [POC 22 Oct 1941]
EFM telegraph service authorised [POC 18 Mar 1942]

Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

Mike  :)

Colin Tabeart

Mike, as usual you have been v helpful. Do you know what "EFM" stands for? Many thanks, Colin

Frank Schofield

Colin

Do you think the initials I.A after his rank can stand for Indian Army?

Frank

Colin Tabeart

Alan Baker

FWR lists JH Melling, 2/Lt, Indian Army.

Michael Dobbs

Colin

Expeditionary Force Message (EFM) telegrams were for messages of a personal character only.

Initially the text of such telegrams had to be in plain English, no code words were allowed, and all telegrams were subject to censorship.  The surname of the sender had to appear at the end of the text, but any other names could be added if desired.  Telegrams to Forces abroad could not be accepted as urgent, deferred or letter telegrams; and no accessory services such as prepaid reply (RP), delivery on ornamental form (LX), etc, were allowed.

Later EFM telegrams were composed of a series of pre-determined standard phrases which were numbered.  Ther sender would select up to three numbers in which to compile their telegram.  Copies of the list of standard phrases were distributed to all telegraph offices.  An example is number 64 (Best wishes for New Year).

Mike :)

Colin Tabeart

Thank you both very much - makes a very ordinary cover much more interesting. But we still do not know where APO 1160 was. Best wishes, Colin

Nick Colley

Well, as Mike said, 'Such APO numbers were temporary addresses used by the Army/RAF contingents / drafts or small deployments going overseas.' That implies that the unit/draft to which this APO number was assigned was mobile/in transit. Without knowing what constituted the unit/draft, or the date, then determining where it was seems to be something of a conundrum.

chrs
N

Colin Tabeart

Absolutely! :)  But as the sender put APO 1160 on the back (in the expectation of a reply?)  it may be that this particular one was a bit longer-lived? In Sep 1941 a surface letter from east of Suez could take 2 months to get to UK, ditto outbound presumably. Not that it necessarily was from E of Suez. Good job we cannot crack them all - must leave some work for our reliefs! Colin

Peter Harvey

Hi Colin,

Mike is 100% (as you would expect) I have 1160 recorded both in Suez (from an air letter where the writer mentions passing through Suez and I write this) and on a PPcd from Durban, where the writer states the card is a clue to my location......separate correspondents.

I don't think this helps your cover.

Peter

Colin Tabeart

Many thanks Peter - all grist to the mill as they say. Are either/both your examples dated?
Colin

Peter Harvey

Hi Colin,

Yes sorry, the Card was 10/9/43 with POMM and the Air Letter is undated with POMM. I will look out for others as I am sure I have some examples.

Peter

Colin Tabeart

Many thanks Peter. As Mike says these were temporary allocations it seems likely that yours of Sep 1943 was allocated to a different outfit to mine of Sep 1941.

Michael Dobbs

It is possible that APO 1160 was used as a permanent address for some considerable time - I gave the following examples in my article:

APO 400 1940: Faroe Islands
APO 500 1940: Iceland
APO 620 1941: No 2 Canadian Tunnelling Company, Gibraltar

It needs some research to try and track down the number in unit war diaries and some of the information provided in your responses may offer a clue, but still a long shot.

Mike