• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

RN Balloon Base No 2

Started by Alan Baker, November 22, 2019, 10:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Baker

Still AK. This card franked BAPO Z (Alexandria) gives the senders address as RN Balloon Base No 2, c/o GPO RAF London.

I have not been able to find anything about this unit. Any one enlighten me?

Frank Schofield

Alan

This not listed in the Navy List, but found a Kite Balloon Section based at Alexandria, this was taken over by the new RAF in April 1918

Frank Schofield

Alan Baker

I have found on Ancestry a Harry Fothergill who was an AC2 in the Royal Navy. His record is noted as ENGT to RAF. His last posting is noted as Queen II. Any idea as to what ship/establishment this was?

Frank Schofield

Alan

His rank AC2 makes him RAF (ex RNAS)
HMS Queen (Battleship) was the base ship at Taranto, Italy, also a tug with the same name hired for harbour service during WW1
HMS Queen II was a hired trawler 1914-19
there were also Queen III and IV listed

Frank Schofield

Frank Schofield

Alan

Found QUEEN II was also at Taranto as a Parent ship for RNAS until March 1918 then later in March 1918 was at Pizzone near Taranto

Frank Schofield

Graham Mark

Hello
Assuming 1918 is the period - "War in the Air" Vol VI, p315 Disposition of Units in Mediterranean 1Apr18 Egypt:
HQ Alexandria under a Rear Admiral
Seaplane bases at Port Said and Alex
No.2 Balloon Base Alex
the chapter continues with the arguments about the position of a kite balloon relative to the convoy it was protecting.
There were also balloon bases at Gibraltar, Bizerta and Malta, others were in preparation at Genoa, Milo and Port Said.
A footnote added that balloon stations at Brindisi and Corfu were occupied with the patrols on the Otranto Barrage.
Graham