• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Winter Express Norway 1966

Started by Chris Weddell, December 17, 2019, 07:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Weddell

Hello All,

Can anyone tell me anything at all about this cover. I am tempted to steam off the tape but I will leave that for the moment. I can see it is addressed to the Cpl, I cannot make out the next line but I can make out the Winter Express, Norway on the label. The cover was redirected and on the back of the cover is a London B.A.P.O. 1 datestamp.

Any help with this would be great.

Chris

Chris Weddell

The Back of the cover.

Michael Dobbs

Hi Chris

From the address at the back of the cover I can tell you that the sender was J A Smith (John Smith), a founder member of the Society and our Chairman 1952-57 / 1958-84 and President 1984-86.  He is a well known FPO collector and you will find all sorts of covers addressed to him.  This is clearly a philatelic cover, possibly asking the addressee to send him some covers or wanting to get a backstamp and have it returned to sender.  In this case the cover was forwarded to the addressee at him home address.

I will now see if I have any information on Winter Express in Norway in 1966!

Mike  :)

Michael Dobbs

Chris

I have now found the BFPO number of Ex Winter Express in 1966 - my records show:

[b]BFPO 591[/b] Exercise Winter Express
Dates: 7 February 1966 - 27 March 1966
Datestamp used: FPO 1063
BFPO number inserted into the Post Office Guide as amendments published in the Post Office Circular (POC) on the following dates:
Inserted POC 15/12/1965 acceptance of telegrams
Inserted POC 26/1/1966 air parcel rate 6/6d

British Postal Museum & Archive: File POST122/12259
The exercise involved approximately 950 military personnel supported by a postal detachment from 19 Brigade Group Postal and Courier Communications Unit RE.

Note from DPCC to PSD/OMB dated 22/9/1966 notified that "this BFPO 591 has not been carried into the 1966 POG; therefore no deletion notice is required".

Mike Knott in his listing of "British Forces Post Offices in Norway" (FPHS Newsletter No 259 - Spring 2004) gives dates of 27 February to 26 April 1966.  I don't know the source for his dates - mine above came from the Post Office Circulars.

Mike  :)

Chris Weddell

Mike,

Thank you for your help.

Cheers

Chris