• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Daynes n.460 censor stamp

Started by Ross Debenham, January 25, 2020, 04:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Debenham

I hope some of our naval experts can help me with this. I recently purchased the attached cover on Ebay. The censor marker was described as N.460 which is take is the stepped triangular censor marker. Now I have other stepped triangular from Kilindini where this comes from which have letters in the top of the interior triangle, such as MO and OB. Is the N.460 a generic name for all of these Stepped Triangular censor markers or are they listed separately. Also mentioned on in the description was G.G.23. Does this refer the the "RECEIVED FROM H.M. SHIP". Hope someone can assist.

Peter Harvey

Hi Ross,

Hope that you are well. I watched this item on eBay the G.G. 23 reference was the dealers stock number... so nothing to do with the cover.

Peter

Nick Colley

Ross, it sounds as if you don't have a copy of Daynes' 2nd Edition? Yes, the N460 type with the letters at the internal apex are indeed listed separately - well, those that we know about are, anyway.

chrs
N

Ross Debenham

Thanks gentlemen, it looks like another minefield. With regards to the fires out here this is one of the coastal areas that wasn't effected this time. thankfully which is unusual.

Nick Colley

Yes, I did wonder about the fires, Ross, but I  looked on Google Maps at where you live, and you seem to be quite a way north of them?

Do let us know if we can tempt you to acquire a copy of Daynes 2nd Ed ?  :)

Nick

Ross Debenham

Thanks Nick, they went right around us. There was an enormous one up the valley. Some of us from the Marine Rescue base went and helped with the communications when the big fires were on, but we could only do it because we handle the firies communications after hours in normal times, which we haven't had much of lately.

Nick Colley

Oh, so the fires DID reach that far north? Crikey. It was not obvious from the media coverage here that that was so. What a horrible time for you all. So you were personally involved as well? Good for you.

chrs
N

Ross Debenham

All the way from Port Macquarie in the north to Gippsland in the south. After this all the firies will just need to lie on a beach somewhere and chill out. In the aone I worked in they lost 88 houses with 44 damaged but they saved over a 1000 according to the email that came from RFS the other day.