• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Paquebot

Started by Ross Debenham, March 24, 2020, 02:07:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Debenham

I was going to make this my Cover of the Day but I feel it is not worthy  It was obviously censored on board ship. using an Australian 4d. stamp and addressed to Sydney, Australia. (Ultimo being a suburb in the CBD). Can any member help me with the location of the Paquebot cancellor which I believe may be somewhere in Egypt. As I have a very limited knowledge of Paquebots can someone please help.

Peter Harvey

Hi Ross,

Like so many others I think, I find it hard to give Paquebot marks an exact location. We have a single reference book that I know about (Roger Hosking Paquebot Cancellations of the World) and often so many marks are the same, you need lots of other clues on the cover, along with a clear paquebot mark that you can measure to try and determine location.

Taking you prompt, this partial cachet that you have could be Hoskings 1267 (45x8mm) used in Alexandria but he does not record it after the mid 1930's so not in WW2, he also records a similar Port Said mark 1350 (54x11mm) but not this late and the list goes on with similar for Port Taufiq and Suez but not in WW2.

So maybe used in Egypt and with the partially rounded ends, of Egyptian type?

Peter

Ross Debenham

Thanks Peter, I thought it had to be in that area because of the "Air Mail" reference on the cover. I suppose when I write it up I just have to say somewhere in Egypt.