• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Cover of the Day - L/Cpl M. Dobbs our secretary?

Started by Marc Parren, March 23, 2020, 01:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc Parren

20p forces overseas registered cover posted in 1973 at Rheindalen BFPO 40 with FPO 351 from what I believe our Honorary Secretary!! Already sending requests out to postal auction houses!

Nick Colley

Ha! The shape of things to come  ;D

Good one, Marc.

chrs
N

Michael Dobbs

Marc - Yes indeed it is me!

I don't remember this at all!!  I don't know what I had bid on, forces or Spilsby in Lincolnshire?

Upon leaving school in 1968 I joined the Army on my 17th birthday and after training as a Staff Clerk I served in two NATO HQs (AFCENT and NORTHAG) until I left Germany and the Army in September 1975 having reached the rank of Corporal. 

At HQ AFCENT (Brunssum, The Netherlands) I served in the Orderly Room of the British Army Support Unit which was next door to the FPO.  That is where I first began to get an interest in Forces mail, initially the commemorative postmarks - sadly I cut out the Forces postmarks on official mail received!!

I transferred to Rheindahlen in June 1971 and was employed mainly on typing duties in G1/G5, HQ NORTHAG in the JHQ.  Whilst there I joined the Rheindahlen Garrison Stamp Club and through a Colonel in the HQ I was given details of the FPHS and joined in late 1974 or early 1975.  As soon as I arrived in London I started to attend the FPHS meetings at Caxton Hall.  Here I met the likes of John Smith, Bill Garrard, Alistair Kennedy, George Crabb, John Daynes and many others, all now sadly deceased.

I've amazed that a cover I sent to a dealer all those years ago has survived into the philatelic world!!

Regards, Mike  ;D

Nick Guy

I'll add another forces link - Stainton Grove was the married quarters associated with Stainton Camp, one of the (many) camps around Barnard Castle that stayed open quite late (1972 according to Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainton_Camp ) - married quarters there and in Barnard Castle itself passed into civilian use when the military presence in the area ended.  As I recall it, Stainton (Grove) stood out as the Army built a helipad there when I was a schoolboy - a truly remarkable intrusion of the twentieth century into 1960s Teesdale!

Nick Guy