• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

US APO 875 in 1943

Started by Michael Dobbs, April 16, 2020, 09:51:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

This is not a "cover of the day" but one of two enquiries I have received via the website:

Cover postmarked US ARMY POSTAL SERVICE 875 dated OCT 18 1943 on a British 2½d suggesting it was located in the UK. 

The senders unit and address is given as 547th Bomb Squadron, 384th Bomb Group (?) (if I have read it correctly) APO 634.

Does anyone know anything about the location of either the APO datestamp or unit locations please?

Thanks, Mike  :)

Alan Baker

According to wiki, 547 Bomber Squadron was based at RAF Grafton Underwood from June 1943

Nick Colley

According to Regan & McGrath, (War Cover Club), APO 875 was in Kettering from 23rd May 1942, then Vannes in N.France from 9th August 1944, and so on, following the troops to Germany. APO 634 was at Wellingborough serving HQ, 8th Air Force, so that would fit.

chrs
N

Chris Weddell

In Garrard APO 875 is listed as being in Kettering from the 23rd of May 1942 until the 8th of August 1944. I have seen a cover with an earlier date of the 11 of May to a US Officer.

Michael Dobbs

Thank you all for your quick responses - as a result I took to Wikipedia and looked up RAF Grafton Underwood and found:

RAF Grafton Underwood is a former Royal Air Force station located 4 miles northeast of Kettering, Northamptonshire.

From May 1943 until June 1945 384th Bombardment Group (Heavy) used Grafton Underwood.  The 384th Bomb Group was assigned to the 41st Combat Bombardment Wing of the 1st Bombardment Division. Its tail code was 'Triangle-P' and its operational B-17 Flying Fortress squadrons were:

544th Bombardment Squadron
545th Bombardment Squadron
546th Bombardment Squadron
547th Bombardment Squadron

The 384th Bomb Group was primarily used as a strategic bombardment organisation, concentrating its attacks on airfields and industries in France and Germany.

All fits nicely together - once again thanks to you all for your helpful comments.

Mike  ;)