• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

My scruffy letter of the day

Started by Frank Schofield, April 16, 2020, 03:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Schofield

Many years ago at our local Beckenham Stamp Fair, a dealer friend offered me a tatty London Ship Letter, when I pointed out how bad the condition was, it had been repaired by the old fashion piano paper music tape (used many years before Sellotape and Magic tape were invented), he halved the price.

My young daughter got curious and started to read the letter, and pointed out that the writer mentions killed and wounded, taking a second look at the letter, addressed to a Mrs Leighton in London and signed Leighton Dalrymple, headed Brussels July 9th and what looked like 1813, then realised that there was a small mark over the 3 which turned it in 1815.

Alarm bells started to ring, 1815, Brussels, "Battle of Waterloo"

In those far off days I had a readers ticket to the library of the Army Museum in Chelsea, so off I trotted and a very nice young lady found a reference to  Leighton Cathcart Dalrymple a Lieut Colonel in the 15th Hussars, she asked me if I would like to see his diary, they had a copy, and found the only blank date in the diary was July 9th, the day he wrote to his Aunt in London.

Lt/Col Leighton Dalrymple was one of the wounded, he lost a leg during the battle, in the letter he also mentions being visited at his window by the Duchess of Richmond (famous for her balls!). He died in 1820.

The letter is in much need of TLC, well beyond my limited skills and should be placed in the hands of a professional restorer.

Frank Schofield

Peter Harvey

Frank,

I would agree, a professional restoration would change this cover significantly. For many items the story is in the condition, in this case the cover alone is a significant story and with a professional clean and repair to the front, this would be a museum exhibit...... what will you do with it.

Hoping you are well at home.

Peter

Nick Colley

Yes, restoration sounds a promising idea. What might be a good way to find a suitable restorer? Frank, do you have a transcript? It should be a good (and educational) contribution to the Journal.

chrs
N

Tony Walker

I like those covers with a story attached, as you'll see from my posts, and this is a great one Frank.

Glad to see you appearing on the Forum, was getting concerned at your absence

Cheers
Tony

Frank Schofield

Peter & Nick

This is an item that has sat at the bottom of a drawer for many years (possibly 30), only surfacing when the drawer is sorted out, because of the repair tape it is difficult to read in places so I have never tried.
I have thought of offering it to the 15th Hussars Regimental Museum, I believe this is in Newcastle
but it will probably get buried again

Frank

Frank Schofield

Tony

Been stuck in doors for over 7 weeks now, but have been busy catching up with other jobs, mainly writing up items from the 130 odd bought ex AK of the British Army in Italy WW1 .

Because of the meetings being cancelled this was an excellent idea, but
I have stayed off the forum because of the chaotic situation of naval items (which I may be able to help with) by the time I got round to them, they seem to disappear under new covers posted the same day and so I got fed up looking for them
Somebody needs to establish a few ground rules I suggest one topic and replies per post, what do you think?

Frank

Tony Walker

Yes I agree Frank.  The idea of posting 'a cover a day' in the current circumstances was an excellent one, and I think the word 'cover' should be translated very flexibly to allow some lighter and perhaps not strictly postal history posts to appear.  Variety is the spice of lock down..

As you imply, each cover post could be a separate post which would make checking and contributing to the Forum much more used friendly.

As to your backlog - if your pencilled notes on covers were not so distinctive and so numerous, maybe you'd have less of a backlog of queries.  Mind you having said that, continue the good work!

Cheers
Tony