• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Cover of the Day 18 April 2020 - Gallipoli Card

Started by Peter Harvey, April 18, 2020, 04:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Harvey

Here is my item for today, I would welcome some help with this I have worked out who it is addressed to, but am struggling with some bits of the history, questions on Gallipoli and Italy

So a WW1 postcard sent to a Lieut A. A. MacFarlane-Grieve with the 4th Batt the Highland Infantry, found him in Wiki at this time training in Scotland, but the Wiki 'Awards' section says in 1917 he was awarded the Silver Medal of Military Valor by the King of Italy, I can find no further reference to this or why it was awarded. He went onto become a Lt Col and served in WW2

The card is signed top left F.O. Houseman, again I found reference to him being a Reverend to HM Forces, but no reference to him other than his medal card from WW1, I am sure I have seen other items with his name, does anyone recognise this,

Card is cancelled Army Post Office SZ1 29 NO 15 Dardanelles this date, reverse message headed 'Hospital Gallipoli 29th Nov 1915, with the message advising he is waiting to be transferred to a hospital ship.

Any information on Reverend Houseman would be appreciated.

Regards

Peter