• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Cover of the Day, 20th April. The Vichy Navy.

Started by Nick Colley, April 20, 2020, 04:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Colley

Folks, this is addressed to the French cruiser [i]Gloire[/i] from Le Trait, Seine-Inferieure (German-occupied), postmarked 31st October 1942. [i]Gloire[/i] was loyal to the Vichy government, and was stationed at Dakar, Senegal at this time. I'm puzzled why the postcard has been awarded  a Relations Suspendu mark, and returned to sender. Did German-occupied France not talk to Vichy aligned entities? Seems odd. Or was it that the card did not leave France before the landings in North Africa started (Operation Torch) on 8th November?

Speaking of which, Roskill indicates that during the Torch operations 'there were moments of anxiety that the powerful squadron at Dakar ([i]Richelieu, Gloire[/i], and [i]Montcalm[/i]) would intervene.' They did not, and [i]Gloire[/i] subsequently rejoined the Allies.

A handsome-looking vessel, the [i]Gloire[/i].

Any thoughts?

chrs
N