• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Cover of the Day - RCN (Reserve)

Started by Alan Baker, June 23, 2020, 03:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Baker

Just arrived today. An unused RCN (Reserve) postcard "Your attendance is required at..."

From Scott, it looks like this was printed in 1938 and has the figures "19" - "38" in the bottom corners (not legible in second scan). It is tempting to think this would have been used to call up reservists in anticipation of the declaration of war in 1939, but could it have been later than that?

Any ideas?

Peter Harvey

Interesting card, can not say I have seen this before. I wonder if the 10M implies 10 million were printed, if so you would think this was a war time issue. However, the options include a 'Cruise' not exactly a war time activity.

Peter

Michael Dobbs

Next to 10M is 2-50 which to me implies printed February 1950.

Could this be a post-war reunion invitation made to look like some form of wartime card?

Or else it is a post-war call-up for training - "cruise" not being the holiday cruise we have nowadays, but a period aboard ship at sea?

Mike  :)

Alan Baker

If it was printed in 02-50, could it have been something to do with the Korean War?

Nick Colley

Korean War started on 25th June 1950, Alan.

chrs
N

Alan Baker

But it could have been a pre-war call up of reservists. Canada sent a number of warships to Korea

Michael Dobbs

Alan

Suggest you contact the Canadian Military Mail Study Group and maybe get an item in their next Newsletter to see what responses you get.

Mike  :)

Alan Baker

Alan Baker

I have received the following from the Chairman of CMMSG:

NR 38 is the identification number of the form. As far as I know it means that the card was first designed in 1938, which agrees with the 1938 date in the stamp impression. The 2-50 is indeed the printing date, so February 1950. "10M" means that 10 million were printed, Since North Korea rattled cages in January 1950, this does seem to tie in with the runup to the Korean War.