• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

FPO D 10 at Mudros 1915

Started by Chris Grimshaw, April 25, 2020, 03:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Almost a one man band today, where is everyone, I know the sun is shining. :)

Once in a while we all come across something which "it's wow Yes I want that" one such item attached.

A parcel Post Label franked 1 / 9 pence cancelled Field post Office D 10 4th October 1915 .  Parcel 3 lb to 7 lbs.

This FPO served 10th Division Headquarters during the very short time they were at Mudros after leaving Gallipoli,  and prior to landing at Salonika,  29th Brigade had started to land there 4th/5th October 1915.

Parcel Post Labels are very scarce both from the Gallipoli campaign and indeed the Salonika campaign.  I know of one example from Gallipoli and have two examples from the Salonika campaign. This is after 25 years of collecting this campaign.

Would be interested in details of any others friends may have knowledge of.

Chris

Peter Harvey

Chris,

I wonder by this point at Mudros if anyone would have anything to send home in parcel. Clearly conditions were such that most troops would have only been carrying their military kit and would not be in a position to buy and sell and send home... I wonder what was in the parcel at that weight.

Pete

Chris Grimshaw

Possibly sending his laundry.  I have reference that this did happen.

Chris