• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Townsend & Dunsterforce 30th April

Started by Chris Grimshaw, April 30, 2020, 02:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Staying with Townsend,

Last post, Letter No 42 left him on a Transport at Sea,  He wrote again on 15th March 1918, talks about having sent a cable 4th March 18,  Landed at BASRAH and now travelling up country.

A photograph in the Australian War Memorial project No AD 1577 shows a Group photo of Dunsterforce 5th Party,  Baghdad April 1918 Townsend by now a Captain is identified on this photo.

He gives no clue as to location.

He next wrote May 18th 1918,  Letter No 44, Talks about how slow mails are and its unlikely they will receive mail for a while.  Again no clue as to where he is.

No covers have survived with these letters.

His next letter i have is February 1919 where he is serving with Norperforce following the Disbandment of Dunsterforce. 

Starting to get into the realms of the unknown now as I'm unaware exactly what material ED K obtained,  I have some but not complete details.  I corresponded regularly with Ed but am unsure how to obtain further details of the material.

Its possible there is mail out there from May 18 to February 1919.

Chris