• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

My Cover for Today 28th April Townsend The Dreaded Telegram

Started by Chris Grimshaw, April 28, 2020, 09:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Morning Team

Staying with our man Townsend,

His mail surviving in early 1916 is sketchy,  31st Dec 16 saw him at El Arish where he sent a FSPC through FPO D 52. He acknowledged and listed letters and parcels received.

He next wrote 25 Jan 17 through FPO 5 Y and censor 3/2573 so was back with his unit. Location of this FPO unknown at this time.  He sent a further FSPC though an unclear APO SZ ? 8th Feb 1917

Nothing then until 4th May 1917 FSPC advising he had been wounded posted at Base APO Z.

On the 11th May the family received the "Dreaded Telegram" advising he'd been slightly wounded.

Chris

Nick Colley

The difference in his handwriting on this item compared to his earlier missives is quite startling, don't you think?

chrs
N

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Nick,  Yes totally different, 

He next wrote to Mother on 25 6 17 from Raz el Tin Hospital, Alexandria,

" I have the use of my fingers now, except for gripping anything strongly." Goes on to say cannot write long letters yet.  A chipped (dum dum) bullet hit the back of his right hand and traveled up the forearm. 

Unknown if he'd written anything after the FSPC in early May. But talks about being very ill, septic etc.

He next wrote three long letters all cancelled Base APO Z 16th July 1917, All censor 3/3888 which FD recorded with this APO but no allocation.  He datelined all three letters 15 7 17.  Mentions last letter from home was datelined 13 6 17.

Impossible to say if what I have is everything, I suspect not.

Chris