• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

My Card of the Day DCLI BSA Small Heath Birmingham

Started by Peter Harvey, April 30, 2020, 09:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Harvey

Well this WW1 card is a mystery to me, I have tried to find some links to understand the history behind it in more detail.

Sent to Launceston with parts machine BIRMINGHAM 12 SP 14 - so for a UK card, early WW1. Posted home it is addressed from:

Pte Baskerville
F Coy 5 D.C.L.I
c/o B.S.A Small Heath
Birmingham

The BSA small arms factory at Small Heath was constructed between 1914 - 16 following the outbreak of war. My question is why was a Private Soldier with Duke of Cornwalls Light Infantry giving an address of BSA Small Heath - any thoughts welcome.

Peter

Alan Baker

According to wiki, 1/5th DCLI remained in the UK until 1916, when they were sent to the Western Front

As he mentions being on "gard" (sic), perhaps their posting was to guard the BSA factory at Small Heath, which was involved in the manufacture of armaments