• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

My query of the day

Started by Frank Schofield, May 16, 2020, 08:12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Schofield

The attached cover, registered, and addressed to J.N Masters (famous for pocket watches), Rye, England. The use of the word England in the address, suggests to me that it most likely originated outside the UK.

I have been asked if I am sure it is of Naval origin

My thoughts are yes. With the rough-cut CENSORED 24.5 x 5.5 mm (unlisted Gould). I am sure it arrived in London in the Naval bag. The first visible postal marking is the oval REGISTERED / 27 OCT 14 / LONDON, with the registered London I.S. label added, the blue crayon lines are drawn over the original pencil markings, there are two oval postmarks on the reverse LONDON and RYE on the same date.

If it was Army I would expect APO or FPO and censor marks to be present on the cover.

Any comments from our Naval collectors appreciated.

Frank Schofield

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Frank

I've seen this address on Naval related material.  I'd say Naval.  But of course I'm an Army man.

Chris

Peter Harvey

I would say Naval, I have never seen any references to a cachet cut like that being used by the Army and as you say by this date the FPO/APO system and Unit censors were well established, so Royal Navy.

Peter

Alan Baker

I also think I have come across the name JN Masters Ltd but can't remember when. However, most of the covers I have seen in the last few months have been army ones from AK's material, so...

The censor mark does not look as crisp as the normal naval ones and the colour looks wrong. Add to this the "Urgent" stamp, from the same ink, which I do not recollect seeing on any naval cover.

Are you thinking the stamps and registration label were put on when it arrived in London?

Peter Harvey

J.N. Masters of Rye were a watch and clock maker.

Frank Schofield

Peter

Many thanks for your comments

Alan

Thanks for your comments

I feel the stamps were already on the cover or surely Postage Due would have kicked in?
Note the pencil registration lines under the GPO blue crayon

Chris

Thanks for your comments

I bought approx twenty covers to this address about 2 years ago, all naval.

Frank

Alan Baker

Did any of them have a similar rough cut censor mark?

Also, the word "England" might suggest it was sent from elsewhere in the UK, e.g. Scotland

Frank Schofield

Alan

No, there was a good range of different markings & censors

I did consider Scotland, Nth Ireland and even Wales, but did not think so, I know they had to pay for registered items from the UK waters
lack of censors initials did not help

Frank.

Alan Baker

And the stamps are over the pencil line.

Any idea what the "IS" stands for on the registration label?

Frank Schofield

Alan

Still think the stamps were added after the lines were drawn, but by the original sender

The letters I.S. are Inland Section of the Post Office

Frank