• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Ephemera of the day 13th May R.E. A.P.O.

Started by Chris Weddell, May 13, 2020, 06:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Weddell

Today I am going with Mike and showing some Ephemera.

This is real photo c1950-60 I have added into my small amount of Royal Engineers postal section and service collection. If any one cam tell me anything about these A.P.O'S that would be great. This appears to be an official photo.

Michael Dobbs

Chris

There is nothing to indicate what it is about - but I do wonder if it is an early Royal Engineers Mobile Display Team FPO?
See my ealier posting on the subject - Cover of the Day 1 May REMDT 1969 - in it I state:

[i]Attached to the display team was a Forces Post Office (FPO) detachment which performed the dual function of providing postal facilities for the personnel engaged on the tour and publicity for the Royal Engineers (Postal Section) (REPS).  It is not known exactly when the Royal Engineers Mobile Display Team (REMDT) was formed, but the earliest reference to when it was accompanied by a Forces Post Office (FPO) was 1962.  It could be that this was also when such an organisation was formed.  This used FPO datestamp 1007.  The last time the REMDT function is believed to have been in 1987.  Between 1977 and 1987 it used FPO datestamp 999 each year.[/i]

A very good item - not seen it before.  Thanks Chris

Mike  :)

Chris Weddell

Mike,

While going though the 'to keep box' the photo came from I found this another smaller one. On the back is Finchley 1964.

Chris

Michael Dobbs

Chris

Good photo - two things:

1. The photo looks to be the same as your other one, except from a different angle.  The set-uo is exactly the same, with the pictures on the wall behind and to the side in the same positions and also the soldier looks to be the same person in the same position!

2.  You state on the back it states Finchley 1964.  However, my listing does not show Finchley in 1964 - but there is a FINCHLEY for 1963 - Finchley Carnival Week, but the REMDT FPO was there for one day only - 29 June 1963.

This listing appeared in the Forces Postal History Society Newsletter (No 66, March-April 1964) and Forces Postal History Society Newsletter (No 67, May-June 1964); the former listed it by Command and area whilst the second listing amplified this with more precise locations.  The listing in FPHS Newsletter No 66 has been taken from a (now torn and frayed) typewritten listing compiled by former Society Chairman the late John A Smith (annotated 'jas 5/3').

The 1963 listing appeared in the Forces Postal History Society Newsletter (No 66, March-April 1964).

So a puzzle - 1963 or 1964 ??

Chris Weddell

Mike,

There is a ? on the date of 1964?. So I would have to go with the 1963. I checked where I got the photo from and it was from the late Alister Kennedys items I had brought one Saturday at an FPHS meeting. I log everything I buy!

Chris

Michael Dobbs

Chris

Wow - logging every item you purchase, better than I and I can see some advantages!  How many times I have thought - where did I get that item from!

Back to the photos - glad there was a "?" after the date!  Had me worried that I did not have the full picture for 1964!
So we are settled on 1963.

How did I miss those photos!