• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Covers of the Day 25th May Western Front to Malta via Gallipoli

Started by Chris Grimshaw, May 25, 2020, 01:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Afternoon Team

Two covers from the A K collection,

The first from France but no postal markings, received at FPO 158 Suvla where endorsed "Hospital" and Malta,  Censored 3 / 1061, un allocated.  I cannot read the addressee's surname on this one.  Cancel dated 27th November 15, the day of the Great Blizzard which hit the peninsular

Second cover again from France cancelled FPO A 3, censor 3 / 1463, again un-allocated.  Endorsed "Hospital" and again Malta.  No receiving cancels.

Malta is in Green Crayon on both items, coincidence or an official policy to denote Malta mails.  More research needed here.

Chris

Marc Parren

The second cover shows the pencil note Ghain Tuff which concerns the Convalescent Camp at Ghain Tuffieha in Malta that opened in August 1915 with 2000 beds eventually holding 5000, suitable in the main for less seriously wounded patients 

Chris Grimshaw

Alan Baker

I think the addressee on the first one is Christopher G Corner, Sgt Herefordshire Debt. Found him on FWR. Ancestry has a record that he received the MM but no details

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Alan

Appreciated.  I tried everything on that surname,  Those postal orderlies best have been physic.  Chris

Alan Baker

The censoring officer on the second cover is Major (later Colonel) Arthur D Ducat, DSO, RAMC. Born 1871, died Jan 1957.

At some point he was with 2/3 London Field Ambulance, attached to 56th  (1st London) Division. However, this division was not formed until Feb 1916, after this cover was posted.

Chris Grimshaw