• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Covers of the day 5 June: PPI MOD

Started by Michael Dobbs, June 05, 2020, 11:44:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

Not everyone's cup-of-tea or to everyone's taste - my covers of the day today are two UK official items from Ministry of Defence organisations using a Postage Paid Impression licence number PHQ 334.

Following the cessation of Official Paid mail from 1 April 1982 previous users of this service (Government departments and organisations) had to turn to other methods for payment of postage for official mail.  This included use of postage stamps, franking meters or postage paid impressions (PPI).  The Post Office HQ serial (PHQ) allowed mail to be posted at any Post Office District/Delivery Office.  The Ministry of Defence was allocated the licence number PHQ 334 (later HQ 334) for use on official mail from MOD establishments and units throughout the UK.

The first cover (1982) is from the Sailors & Families Advice Bureau whilst the second cover (2002) is from the Ministry of Defence Guard Service (unit datestamp on the reverse).  On 1 April 2004 the Ministry of Defence Guard Service merged with the Ministry of Defence Police to form the Ministry of Defence Police and Guarding Agency.  The design of PPI marks has changed over the years, the Post Office largely dictated the design standards to be use,  and in later years had to have ROYAL MAIL incorporated into the design to show who was actually delivering the mail.

As I say, not for everyone but it is still Forces mail.

Mike  :)

Chris Grimshaw

Nice material Mike and of course commercial usage and not philatelic creations.

I like it

Chris

Peter Harvey

Hi Mike,

Thank you for this, something I have seen but never known the details about. I will have to look around and seen what I had now and apply the logic to the date range.

Peter