• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

My cover for today 9th June 1917 Wreck Mail

Started by Chris Grimshaw, June 09, 2020, 05:33:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Morning Team

Some of you will have seen my display of mail from the St Louis 1917,  damaged by torpedo and mails became waterlogged. 
Over the years I've managed to find various other items from this incident, one I show here today

Cover to Glasgow cancelled FPO 77,  this FPO served 77th Brigade 26th Division in Salonika, Brigade was make up of four Scottish Battalions.

Cover is dated 30 May 1917 with enclosed letter datelined 27th May 17  Originally would have shown a Type 3 Censor Handstamp which has been washed off. 

A very, very small number of items show a cachet denoting damaged but most of the mails recovered show nothing apart from water damage.  The clues are in the dates of posting.

One day I'll try and update my display of this material and put onto the website.

Chris