• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Cover of the day 9 JUNE, 2020

Started by Ross Debenham, June 09, 2020, 05:16:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Debenham

Today I attach a cover post marked with rectangular post marker with three lined "POSTAGE PAID F.M.O. Censored use red triangular naval censor. The dealers description of the cover lists usage as 1942, and as there appears to be no mention of 1942 on the cover can members inform me when this particular post marker was used.

Nick Guy

Harry Henning in "East Africa World War II," published by him with the support of the EASC in 1996 writes:

[i]This rectangular boxed mark - 33 x 18 mm - was, apparently, used for a few days in September and October 1942 and until a supply of British stamps became available. It was used again for a brief period in September 1943 when the Eastern Fleet HQ was moved to Colombo.[/i]

I'm wondering if someone has read "until a supply of British stamps became available" to mean that that was the only time it was used in Mombasa.  I'm afraid I'd like more evidence as it looks remarkably well-made for an emergency handstamp in that context, but whether or not it was available before that period, presumably it remained available afterwards until it departed to Colombo.  Given the weird and wonderful array of dumb cancellers used at Mombasa on naval mail I don't find it difficult to imagine any handstamp lurking in the postroom being pressed into service whatever its original purpose.

Perhaps a naval expert can explain the circumstances under which British stamps would be required at Mombasa?  I have other examples of naval airmail letters (including one with this marking cancelling the stamps)  or AMLCs with naval censorship where airmail postage has been paid with KUT stamps - in the same way as Army & RAF personnel in Kenya (mostly) did.

Nick Guy

Ross Debenham

Nick. I believe that there are many mysteries with regards the use of post markers and censor markers at Kilindini Naval Base. I wonder if they may have been caught a  bit short with the necessary and sudden movement of Fleet Headquarter from Colombo.

Alan Baker

There could be two interpretations of the word "stamps". Either perforated sticky things or hand stamps for cancelling mail.