• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Fritz Fnadschek

Started by Andrew Brooks, June 24, 2020, 08:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Brooks

I am re-writing my covers on the Przemysl sieges and subsequent POW covers sent from Russia. Many of you will know Keith Tranmer's collection of Fritz Fnadschek cards sent home to his wife between 1915-18. Twenty years ago I obtained twelve of these cards (not from Keith) and they have not, until now, been written up and mounted ( the lockdown has some good points). However, I have a request. Three of the cards were sent from a POW camp near Tashkent and I would like to place it on the map. Prior to moving to this camp Fritz was in a camp - Station Kakalinsk (had trouble finding this!). It was on the east side of the Aral Sea (censored in Tashkent). In an article Keith names the mystery camp as 'Trokoe Lager'. On the cards Fritz calls it 'Troysky Lager bei Taschkent', or 'Trojsky' and another source gives 'Trojeko.' I have not been able to find this place in any atlas or reference book. The only philatelic book I have is Russian Postal Censorship by A.Speeckaert and it is not mentioned. It cannot have been far from Tashkent and probably in the area of Samerkand. Any ideas?
Andrew