• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Cover of the day for June 19, 2020, Lord Palmerston v. Greece

Started by Howard Weinert, June 19, 2020, 04:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard Weinert

A disinfected cover with enclosed letter sent from Athens to Prince Emil Wittgenstein, Major and Aide-de-Camp to the Caucasian Viceroy Prince Vorontsov, in Tiflis. This cover was picked up by a Lloyd Austriaco ship in Athens on 17 April 1850 and taken to Constantinople, where it was put on board a Russian naval frigate on 26 April for transport to Odessa. From Odessa it traveled overland to Tiflis. The punch holes and slits indicate disinfection in Odessa for cholera.

Athens 17/29 April 1850 [1]

My friend,

I am writing you a few words in haste as the Austrian mail boat leaves today. I can't tell you how glad I was to get your letter dated the first of the month and to hear your news of which I had been deprived for some time. Some months ago, His Majesty the King [2] was good enough to tell me that you had entered the Imperial Russian service. [3] I was ignorant of everything else contained in your letter.

I was very sure that your noble heart would be indignant at the news of the oppression to which poor Greece has been subjected. [4] Everywhere, even in barbarian countries, there have been cries of indignation. Even in England public opinion has condemned the conduct of the British government and the shameful way in which Lord Palmerston has behaved. My good friend, know that neither the good offices of France nor the thundering protests of the Imperial Russian government have helped us. Lord Palmerston has been able to make a fool of everyone. A tiny country that has had long unequal struggles in the past expects more fortitude and respect from its protectors. Its sovereign has shown the world that in his misfortune he was greater and more sublime than his oppressors. That is why his admiring people surround him and show him their boundless devotion and loyalty, which nothing can shake.

After four [5] years of suffering and humiliation which has completely ruined our country, Lord Palmerston and his government decided that it was just and honorable to throw several thousand pounds to their miserable protégé Don Pacifico as compensation, at the expense of Greece. [6] The world has spoken. It is thus my good friend that this sad affair has ended. It has added a very black page to the history of a great nation.

As I have just received your letter, I have not had the opportunity to show it to Their Majesties, who will read it with pleasure. I am glad to know that you have been so well received by the family. I congratulate you for being in the service of Prince Vorontsov [7], a fine nobleman who has always defended the Greeks. Goodbye my friend. Be happy. I pray for your welfare.

Yours truly, Deme[trios] Mavromichalis [8]

[1] 17 April in the Julian calendar = 29 April in the Gregorian calendar. Both Greece and Russia used the Julian calendar at this time. [2] King Otto of Greece. [3] Wittgenstein joined the Russian army in February 1849. [4] On Easter Sunday 1847, Don Pacifico, a British citizen living in Athens, was the victim of a home invasion robbery by a mob that included the sons of the Greek War Minister. The British Foreign Minister, Lord Palmerston, demanded that the Greek government compensate Pacifico and when it refused, Palmerston ordered the Royal Navy to blockade the port of Athens. [5] Actually three years. [6] The day before this letter was written, Greece agreed to pay Pacifico 6000 pounds sterling. [7] Wittgenstein lived with the family of the Caucasian Viceroy, Prince Vorontsov. [8] Mavromichalis belonged to one of the most powerful Greek clans. His grandfather played a leading role in the Greek War of Independence and his father and great-uncle assassinated the Greek president in 1831. He served as aide-de-camp to King Otto of Greece. Wittgenstein met Mavromichalis during a trip to Greece in 1846.

Nick Colley

Howard, that's outstanding - with the background history you have, that would be an excellent item for the Journal. Having just read the entry on the matter of Don Pacifico in Wikipedia, it seems no-one came out of the affair with much credit. The British response looks like an excellent example of gun-boat diplomacy (we never really did 'subtle' under Queen Victoria, did we?), and hence your letter qualifies for the Journal :-)

rgds
N

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Nick / Howard

This post is already pencilled in for the Winter Journal.  It's a cracking piece.

Chris