• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Censor 7 /41 at APO SX 22

Started by Chris Grimshaw, July 03, 2020, 12:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Afternoon Team

I'm back, as many of you are aware I'm currently engaged in a study of Type 7 Censor numbers 1 to 560 used in Salonika and subsequent Army of the Black sea period.

Plan is to show an example of every recorded or seen number and track any re-allocations.

I show here a cover from APO SX 22 in September 1919 censor No 41 which was first allocated to 228th Brigade HQ,  The latest recording of this censor with FPO 228 is 3rd December 1918, by end of December Brigade was broken up and units returned to Constantinople or in some case transferred to 27th Division is South Russia.

Looks to by signed by a RE Lieut with a part cachet.  Any information on this censor in 1919 appreciated.

Chris

Alan Baker

Sorry, I have no record (yet) against either of these numbers.

Small point - is the second one 7/465? If so, the list you sent me recently has this CM with FPO80 in Batum

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Alan

Yes the fragment is Censor 465,  I record in early December 1918 with FPO H 12, then FPO 80 and then APO SX 22 allocated to Camp Commandant Batoum.

One thing I'm observing as working my way through all my material in this fashion as against spreadsheets is the scarcity of what I'd call the "Fighting" Battalion level units in late 1917 / 1918 with Type 7.  I've always been aware that some were just never seen.  Will be interesting to see the final tally I end up with at this first stage. 

I suspect that F D worked partly on balance of probability when compiling his records. 

Do you have any record of No 15 in 1919? Latest I record is 3rd December 1918 when 228th Brigade was disbanded, then as a Base Censor? at Chanak

Chris

Chris

Alan Baker