• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Cover of the Day - Fritz Fnadschek

Started by Andrew Brooks, June 25, 2020, 08:26:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Brooks

Following my query yesterday I illustrate one of the cards. If Fritz was moved 1000Km south from Station Kasalinsk( according to KT) then my guess is that the Samarkand area is the possible site of Trokoe lager. What might be of interest is that the average time it took for a card written by Fritz in Trokoe to be posted in Taskent was 73 days. It then had to get to Poldi (his wife) in Austia. 

Alan Baker

I have tried a googly search for "Trokoe Lager" but came up with an inappropriate website displaying a young lady in a state of limited clothing! I think you might be on your own with this...

Howard Weinert

Andrew,

I missed your post yesterday, but I can answer your question.
The place is Troitskoye, a village 30 km northeast of Tashkent. Before the war, a military camp (lager) operated here in the summer.
During the war these barracks housed German and Austrian POWs.

Andrew Brooks

Howard,
Many thanks for your help. Please can you give me your reference for this POW camp. I have looked in various internet sites, my Times atlas and reference books (do not have many on POWs in Russia) and cannot find it!
Andrew

Howard Weinert

Andrew,

The only reference I have is the book by Col. F. M. Bailey, "Mission to Tashkent" published in 1946. Bailey was a British agent who was in Troitskoye after the war in 1918/1919. He says that Troitskoye had been one of the largest POW camps and one of the worst, and that it was still full of Austrians.

Andrew Brooks

Hello Howard,
Again, many thanks. That is good enough for me. It is amazing how queries can be solved, especially when you cannot find the answer on the internet. I knew someboby in the FPHS would have the answer
Andrew