• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Censor Type 7 / 347 APO SX 4

Started by Chris Grimshaw, July 03, 2020, 02:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Team

One for our handwriting experts / wizards.

PPC cancelled APO SX 4, located at Kalamaria where there was a concentration of hospitals.  Censor 7/ 347 Not recorded as seen by FD or JS.

I record four examples Jan 18 to October 18, 3 from correspondence shown, (Other two in May 18) Son writing to Parents? Can anyone make out the Censor signature or name of addressee?

Chris

Alan Baker

The sender is "Arthur" Charlesworth, sending to his parents at Heaton Chapel, which I believe was in Cheshire then, now part of Manchester. On FWR, there are 104 A Charlesworths, from a variety of units, including S Lancs and Cheshire Regts, both of which I believe were in Salonika.

I'll investigate further this evening on Ancestry, although the inverted commas around "Arthur" do make me wonder if that was actually his name! As the card was censored by another person, it suggests he was not an officer

As for the censor, it might be "David", although it is very difficult to make out.

Alan Baker

I have found him - Arthur Pearson Charlesworth - married 1922, address Highfield House, Heaton Chapel. Occupation - bank clerk

The only military record I have found for him is a roll of award of Victory and British War Medals - Royal Army Service Corps, regimental No M2/134367, Private.

Hope this helps

Chris Grimshaw

Alan

You're a Star, tentative allocation I believe should be a ASC unit.

Chris