• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

On Admiralty Service

Started by Alan Baker, August 09, 2020, 11:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Baker

I showed this cover during the Zoom meeting yesterday (many thanks to Peter Harvey for running it - great success)

This was sent by James McLeod Thomson, Engineering Officer, HMT Laomedon, to a Mrs Thomson in Scotland. It was franked BAPO Z (Alexandria) on 29th May (?) 1916. The ship was a Blue Funnel Line freighter, which was hired by the Royal Navy and used as a troop ship and supply vessel.

However, I omitted to mention the written heading "On Admiralty Service", which I don't recollect seeing before. It doesn't look like the hand of the sender and the cover bears no censorship markings. Presumably, this choice of wording was to reflect that the ship was not a naval vessel and that it was mainly crewed by Merchant Navy personnel.

Any views?

Alan Baker

This time with scan

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Alan

Nice cover, I'd concur that its "May" and Admiralty Service is certainly in a different hand.

Chris

Alan Baker

This is the original cover I acquired (posted on forum before). Even more interesting, with details