• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

British Army Post Office in Constantinople in 1855

Started by Michael Dobbs, July 24, 2020, 12:22:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

I have received the following enquiry from the USA:

[color=maroon]I am trying to find the date (month) codes used by the British Army Post Office in Constantinople in 1855. I have an example POST OFFICE BRITISH ARMY JU?? 1855. Is this June or July? Any help will be appreciated,[/color]

Can anyone assist please?

Thanks, Mike  :)

Alan Baker

From what I have seen, JU stands for June and JY for July

Michael Dobbs

Sorry for the delay in putting this on here - I have now heard from the person making the enquiry and he has sent me illustration of the cover and a close up of the postmark - now attached.

He also states:

[color=maroon]Here is the postmark. A&H  say it is from Constantinople. The inverted red mark is almost illegible and is a 1? Crown Z in a curve at the top and 1855 at the bottom which you can see in the photo. The front of the cover bears a very large 3 in black manuscript which ties in with a 3d rate to/from Crimea by the military concession by French Packet. [/color]

[color=maroon]I have enhanced the photo of the postmark and now can 'see' the red cancel. I believe it now is :
A Crown Z / 2  JY  / 1855
What I do not know is by whom this red cancel was applied. London receiving?
If so then June 19 to JulY 2 would make a reasonable time en route for a journey via Marseilles to London. 13 days by French Packet.[/color]

Does anyone know what the reference to "A&H" is please?

Also can anyone add anything to this please?

Many thanks, Mike  :)

Michael Dobbs

I think I can answer my own query here!

I think A&H represents "British Postmarks - A Short History and Guide" by R.C. Alcock and F.C. Holland (I found it on my bookshelf - Revised Edition, Reprinted in Jubilee year 1977).  Page 267, Fig 1026 - Crimean War.

Text (p.259) "A Head Office was established in Constantinople, and branch offices in the Crimea"

Anybody any more information?

Mike  :)