• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Is this a New Zealand Censor cachet ?

Started by John Cranmer, July 31, 2020, 07:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Cranmer

I collect Canada and at the moment WW2.  I have this letter from Canada to New Zealand with a triangular censor marking which I presume is from New Zealand but I have not been able to find any info about it on the web.

Any info about this will be most welcome especially any web references.

AQ

Nick Colley

Hi, John, welcome to the Forum. That triangular mark is quite often seen on mail which travels via the Far East. It's not my speciality, civil censorship, so I can't be sure whether it was used in Hong Kong of Singapore. Hopefully another reader of the Forum can be more useful.

chrs
N

Ross Debenham

Welcome to the forum, John. According to "British Empire Civil Censorship Devices World War II - British Asia" by Konrad Morenweiser, this censor marker is one of a series of Type 6E2 censor markers used in Penang, Malaya between 27 February, 1941 and 6 December, 1941.

John Cranmer

Thank you for that I will ask Konrad for his comments.

AQ

Chris Grimshaw

Hi John

Welcome to the Forum

Outside my area but interesting material nevertheless.

Chris

Nick Colley

Ah, Penang, was it? Ha! I was in error with both locations then :-) Sorry.

John Cranmer

Once again thanks for the info. 

I do have a followup question which is what would have been the routing to get to Penang.  I have found some info re air mail routes but this is a surface mail cover and Penang seems a bit out of the way.  Were there established surface mail routes as there were air mail ones ?.

I am looking forward to the on line meeting on Saturday as I would not have got to a meeting in person as it would have been too far from Yorkshire but Zoom makes it easy and I have a cover to show as well.

Stay safe

John

Alexander Green

Not doubting Morenweiser, but a Penang marking sounds unusual.

Malcolm H Wade writing in The Malayan Philatelist, Vol 22, No 2 , March-April 1981, p.22 "Civilian Censorship of mail in Malaya, 1939-42" suggests this is a Singapore marking, which would make more sense. 

John Cranmer

Alex

I think that Singapore censor is an exact match to the example I have and I will work with that,  The censor number and date also agree with the listing you posted.  It is a shame that there are no other dates on the cover to show when it passe through Singapore.  I assume it was mid October.

Thank you very much for your help

John,